(GSL) – Having problems or struggling with an online application for a FOID card or a carry license? Trust us, you’re not alone. For now at least, the FOID Act remains in force and as such we have to navigate obstacles to exercise our firearm rights.

Yes, the Illinois State Police have a call-in number (217-782-7980), but you’ll be calling in with thousands of others each day trying to reach two or three dozen “customer service” agents working at their call center. Hold times can become fearsome pretty quickly. Even worse, in the past if too many are in the “on hold” queue, the computer tells you to call back before hanging up. Clearly helping gun owners get the best Illinois can offer is the first thing Gov. Pritzker thinks about when he rolls out of bed every morning.

On the Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau website (ISPFSB.com), there’s a tab “Need Application Help?” Click on that and you can search their database of businesses and individuals who can help. Sometimes it can cost a few bucks but their time is money just like yours. Why reach out? They have permissions the average user does not and can sometimes overcome some obstacles to logging into your account.

Other options include visiting one of the in-person offices in the state. These are located at:

ISP District 5, 16648 Broadway St., Lockport, IL 60441
ISP District 11, 1100 Eastport Plaza, Collinsville, IL 62234
ISP Central Headquarters, 801 S 7th St, Springfield, IL 62703
ISP District 13, 1391 S Washington St, Du Quoin, IL 62832

Still having problems? Contact your state representative or state senator. They typically field a lot of constituent service requests from people having problems with their gun licensing applications, but in submitting them and with processing times. In fact, downstate at least, firearm licensing scheme problems are THE most common constituent call for help.

One thought on “FOID & CCW APPLICATIONS: Help is available”
  1. Wait until they have to start fielding calls about registration, and can’t explain the law either.

Comments are closed.