“Nobody in a position of authority or responsibility seems inclined to do much about it.” That’s how CWB Chicago analyzes the exploding number of armed robberies in Chicago. On Tuesday, Chicago cops got reports of 15 robberies in 4 hours in the middle of the day.
Want to know something else? Almost 60% of serious violent crimes like armed robbery go unreported because people figure it’ll take hours for the cops to respond (if they show up at all) and the victims don’t have all day to wait around. Or maybe they don’t want to stick around to get robbed again.
So if that stat holds, that means there were probably closer to three dozen armed robberies in that timeframe.
From CWB Chicago:
CHICAGO — Fifteen robberies in four hours? During the middle of the day? Yep. That’s what happened today. And why not? It’s Chicago, and nobody in a position of authority or responsibility seems inclined to do much about it…
In nearly all of the robberies, victims described the robbers as young black males, likely in their late teens or early 20s, wearing masks and displaying multiple firearms.
Robbery sprees have been popping up on an almost daily basis for months. Our reporting has been exhaustive (and exhausting), but here are some recent stories:
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)