Image by Boch. Base image by RIPD.

Three masked thugs stormed into Blackhawk Tobacco and Vape Shop in Rock Island, Illinois earlier in January.  It was the third armed robbery for the store in the past few months.  This time, though, a gun near the cash register leveled the playing field and proved that the only thing that stops bad people with evil in their hearts is a good guy with a gun.

Indeed, during the robbery, a clerk saw a threat to another innocent along with an opportunity to access the gun.  He grabbed it and he came up shooting.  He hit two of the three thieves, killing one who later died at a hospital.

In an interview with the local media, the clerk who defended himself said the robbers had the gun right in his face. “This man looked me in the eye” and asked him if he wanted to go home to his family.

As the robbers were about to leave, the clerk said one aimed a gun at a customer pulling up to the door. “And that’s when I emptied the magazine into him.”  Good call.

WEEK has the story and the video of the interview with the clerk . . .

A store clerk in Illinois shot and killed an armed robbery suspect and will not be facing charges at this time.

“After a preliminary review of surveillance video and witness interviews, it appears the use of force by the employee was justified as self-defense and for the defense of others inside the store during the robbery,” Rock Island County State’s Attorney Dora Villarreal said.

The store clerk explained to KWQC why he pulled the trigger.

The incident occurred Tuesday night at Blackhawks Tobacco & Vape in Rock Island, Illinois. According to police, three robbery suspects, all wearing masks, entered the store. One of them had a gun.

As they threatened employees and demanded merchandise, the store clerk, who asked to remain anonymous, decided he had to open fire.

The Rock Island County State’s Attorney has released a statement saying the use of force by the clerk “appears to be justified” and that no charges will be filed against the clerk. The clerk quit his job the same night.

Again, from WEEK.

“I almost died twice yesterday, man, with the gun in my face, and I could have gone to prison and lost my whole life. I just put an end to it and told them I was done. It is what it is,” he said.


Also a pro-tip: Never (NEVER!) speak to the media in the aftermath of a defensive gun use. There’s literally no upside at all in doing so.