Acuity Insurance in Sheboygan, WI has completed their “Tallest US Flag” project and held the dedication just last month.
They now fly a four-story tall American flag 400 feet above the ground to celebrate freedom.
Watch the video. It’s six minutes of awesome.
It’s held in place by a base that’s 70′ wide and 10′ deep. That’s a LOT of concrete, reinforced by six miles of rebar. It’s meant to stand up to 200mph winds for hours on end.
Acuity Flagpole Project
Standing 400 feet tall, the new Acuity Insurance Flagpole is the tallest flagpole in North America (#tallestUSflag). Located on the Acuity Insurance headquarters campus in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, along Interstate 43 between Milwaukee and Green Bay, the pole supports a 60-foot-wide by 120-foot-long American flag. Located at the base of the flagpole is a brick paver patio featuring the names of Sheboygan County residents killed in active duty.
- 400-foot flagpole weighs approximately 420,000 pounds
- There are two versions of the 60- by 120-foot flag:
– 220 pound flag is flown during normal conditions
– 350 pound flag is flown during harsher weather
- Each star is 3 feet high and each stripe is 4 1/2 feet wide
- 680 cubic yards of concrete used in foundation
- Over 500 gallons of paint cover the pole
- 11-foot diameter at base tapers to 5 1/2-foot diameter at top
- Three pendulum-style tuned mass dampers reduce movement and vibration
- Designed to withstand a low temperature of -42°F