Bill would pay gun owners to hand over assault weapons
(The Hill) – Gun owners would receive tax breaks for voluntarily turning in high-powered assault rifles under new legislation proposed Monday.
The Support Assault Firearm Elimination and Education of our (SAFER) Streets Act expected to be reintroduced next week by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) would provide gun owners with an incentive to turn in their firearms to local police departments.
Who is Rosa DeLauro, Democrat from Connecticut?
She is a fringe left-winger who would run as a Communist Party member if she thought she could get elected as such.
She’s also not the brightest bulb.
Someone should tell Rosa that her long title doesn’t spell SAFER, it spells SAFEAEOOS. Or, maybe with Common Core and Outcome-based Education, perhaps SAFEAEOOS is an acceptable spelling of “safer”.
Continuing from The Hill story:
“Assault weapons are not about hunting, or even self-defense,” DeLauro said. “There is no reason on earth, other than to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, that anyone needs a gun designed for a battlefield.”
And her thinking on gun control is as flawed as her spelling.
But let’s look at the details before we dismiss her plan reflexively:
- It’s a one-time only deal. Okay.
- It must be done within two years of the bills passage. Okay.
- It’s a non-refundable credit spread over two years. Increase your deductions so you owe taxes on April 15th – or lower your quarterly estimated tax payments. No problem.
- You can claim the tax credit for as little as a single gun turned in. In other words, you don’t have to surrender more than one. Okay.
- Eligible guns? Think the old scary gun ban from 1994, only with a single “scary” feature instead of two. Translation: A Hi-Point carbine. Anything that takes a detachable magazine. Thinking a little harder: A stripped AR-15 lower. A “ghost gun”.
This is a per-taxpayer deal. So have your spouse or partner participate for their $2000 as well. Do your kids work? Sign them up too!
Think of it as an federal government gun buyback.
And we at Guns Save Life LOVE gun “buybacks” where we take gun hating do-gooders’ money and put it to good use introducing young people to the fun and excitement of shooting and gun ownership.
We realize Rosa’s plan has about as much chance of passage as an impeachment of Barack Hussein Obama, but it’s nice to think leftists would pay upwards of a hundred million American gun owners $2000 each to surrender a $50 or $100 piece of junk.
Stupid people and their money are soon to part.
No, it’s not nice to take advantage of mentally challenged people, but we’ll make an exception for idiot politicians.
UPDATE: Glenn Reynolds at InstaPundit wrote:
LET’S PAY WELFARE RECIPIENTS $2000 TO BE STERILIZED INSTEAD: Dems: Pay gun owners to hand over assault weapons.
Rosa DeLauro is, of course, an idiot, and this is just a bit of political grandstanding. But if I were a GOP member of Congress, I’d introduce the welfare-sterilization bill and model it very, very closely on this bill. I might even mention this bill in the preamble. . . .