Like our brothers and sisters at Buckeye Firearms, we find it more than “coincidental” that they have found themselves under cyber attack after announcing their plan to buy George Zimmerman a replacement gun.
Here’s the email they sent out not long ago:
BFA is under attack from an unknown outside entity. The website is down and communications systems are non-functional.
Here’s what we know so far …If you’ve tried to visit our website today, you know it’s not there any more. At some time this morning, it came under attack from an outside source.
- Our IT guy says it’s a “denial of service” or DoS attack. This is not the ordinary “hack” attack that we’ve experienced many times in the past. A DoS attack involves using significant resources to bombard a server to temporarily or permanently disrupt service.
- This attack took out our websites, both Buckeye Firearms Association and Buckeye Firearms Foundation.
- Our email communication services also went down. Leaders are located all over the state of Ohio, so we’ve had to set up a temporary alternate email list to stay in touch as we work through this issue.
- This attack was so overwhelming, it took down the entire company that hosts our website. Thousands of IP addresses have been caught up in the digital bloodshed.
- Shortly after all the company servers went down, their power went down. And our IT guy says his cell phone service vanished.
We don’t yet know where this attack came from, but we find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that it’s happening at the very moment a story went national about raising funds to enable George Zimmerman to purchase a new firearm after Eric Holder and the DOJ decided to prevent him from getting his personal property back.
We’ve received threats, hate male, and angry late night phone calls. We’re sending you this message to let you know what’s going on just in case they take out more of our resources and we are unable to communicate with you.
REST ASSURED: We are working on getting our website back up. And the work goes on to push pro-gun legislation, meet with law makers, and defend the Second Amendment. We may communicate online, but our strength has always been in our vast grassroots and our personal relationships with your representatives in government.
The check to Zimmerman is being sent to him as you read this. We collected $25,000 from our recent gun raffle. Our events and teacher training classes are moving forward. We CANNOT be stopped by technological temper tantrums like this.
We’re posting updates on our Facebook page as we know more. You can visit it here:
Marketing & Communications Director