by John Boch and Paul Vallandigham
People from every economic background and profession are the victims of crime each day. It doesn’t matter if you are a fast food worker, medical doctor, pilot or mechanic, you are at risk of being the victim of violent crime.
Criminals don’t care about your profession or your loved ones. They have often rehearsed their crime in their minds many times and they don’t give a second thought about hurting anyone that gets in the way.
Fortunately, for all their rehearsing and “planning,” criminals often subconsciously exhibit one or more inappropriate behaviors before they attack.
It is through your situational awareness that you can recognize these and change your actions accordingly. You may recognize attack precursors and avail yourself to an avenue of escape or ready yourself for physical resistance. You may also have an opportunity to dissuade an attack by readying a weapon.
Here are a few signs to watch for in a suspicious subject that may indicate impending trouble for you.
- Pre-attack “investigation” – a criminal will approach you, even sometimes bump you, to assess your awareness and your apparent willingness and ability to fight back.
- Excessive talking and/or questioning – does the suspect seem like they are being too friendly or nosy when they don’t even know you?
- Eye tracking – is the subject watching you a little too intently?
- Indications of mental illness – are they talking to themselves or others inappropriately?
- Signs of drug or alcohol impairment.
The single best weapon everyone has against a criminal attack is their awareness of their environment. Criminals will tend to avoid those who appear aware of their surroundings. They are “professionals” looking for the easy mark. An aware mark is not an easy mark.
Don’t be the easy mark!
Photo by freetattoodesigns.org.