Welcome to GSL

This login is for the website administrators.

Please use the member login link in the main navigation bar to access the members sections.

Member Login
Lost your password?

Viral letter to Newtown Bee: Politicians are fundamentally dishonest

January 18, 2013

A very eloquent letter to the editor of the Newtown Bee which will probably go viral in some circles if it hasn’t already…

Elected Officials Are Fundamentally Dishonest

To the Editor:

This letter was forwarded to Barack Obama, John Boehner, Chris Murphy, Dick Blumenthal, Elizabeth Esty, and Harry Reid

I live in Sandy Hook, CT. My family and close friends weren’t harmed on December 14. That day impacted 26 families with an indescribable, staggering pain and anguish. For most of Sandy Hook, it merely affected us with an inescapable intensity of sadness and grief.

Gun control has long been a focus of many in this country. Though I’m not knowledgeable of all the nuances of the Second Amendment, based on the Founding Fathers’ circumstances, it had far more to do with enabling the citizenry to protect themselves against tyrannical government than against local psychopaths. It is about providing a balanced firepower so when King George’s successor came knocking on your door, you could fight back. Government today is no less inclined to abuse its authority than it was then. Based on the absurd and ongoing power grab that is present day Washington, it’s as threatening as ever.

That so many of you view the NRA with its resistance to further restrictions on firearms as intransigent lunatics has far more to do with how you conduct yourselves in office than it does with the NRA’s actions.

You in public office are fundamentally dishonest people. You lead lives of deception at every turn, structuring your lives as comfortably as you can while governing with an indifference and arrogance that is absolutely maddening. When the country is reeling from financial disaster, you waste a trillion dollars on a health care bill we can’t afford and you’ve never read. You claim it’s critical because health care costs are killing this country… no they’re not, you are! You are killing this country. You endorse the ongoing slaughter of millions of unborn children and whine when terrorists are water boarded. You can’t lecture us right in Newtown High School about not doing enough to keep our children safe, while simultaneously slaughtering the unborn. You fabricate the intense, media laden drama of the fiscal cliff and lack the courage to do anything about truly reforming the obscene gluttony of government. You know you’ll be out of office before the bill comes due… you don’t care and have no integrity nor honor.

You lie whenever and wherever you need to to move forth your agenda. Were you able, you would purge the US of guns… every last gun in the country, if you could. So please forgive Wayne LaPierre and those of us who don’t trust you as far as we can spit. You’re a dishonest lot, motivated by a distorted worldview. If mass murder prevention were truly your goal, you would welcome armed security wherever needed. It is outrageous that we protect our money with far more firepower than we protect our children.

I have never owned a gun, nor wanted to as intensely as right now. You’ll stop restricting guns when only you have them.

Brendan Duffy

4 Chestnut Knoll Drive

Sandy Hook

January 8, 2013

9 Responses to Viral letter to Newtown Bee: Politicians are fundamentally dishonest

  1. Concerned Citizen on January 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm

    Elitists. Politicians don’t live like regular people. They say they want to help and protect regular people, but all they care about is helping themselves protect their elitist way of life.

    Not a very useful comment, but at least I feel better for saying it.

    • chuck Morris on January 19, 2013 at 12:43 am

      I couldn’t have said it any better.

  2. Jeff S on January 18, 2013 at 10:59 pm

    Politicians are fundamentally dishonest.

    In other news, water remains wet.

  3. Ceefour on January 19, 2013 at 10:56 am

    We know there are honest,trustworthy politicians in DC who understand this beautiful message. Those others…….who knows?

    • DavidT on January 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm

      Yeah, 99% of the politicians give the other 1% a bad name.

  4. Brian G. on January 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

    Unfortunately, once a politician gets elected, his most pressing priority is to get re-elected. Otherwise he might have to get a job. Sadly, the ideals of most politicians are rarely alligned with those they represent.

  5. Tom B. on January 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

    Very well said Mr.Duffy. Thanks

  6. Richard on January 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm

    Excellent!! Hits the nail on the head.

  7. John Burns on January 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm

    Well put and absolutely true.